The Renault factories, constructed in 1929 on the Seguin Island in Boulogne-Billancourt (92), stopped operating in 1992. As part of a real-estate redevelopment project on the island, Antea Group was commissioned by Renault for the site soil remediation (116.14 acres) and carried out the following tasks:
- Comprehensive environmental studies, including detailed historical reviews on each lot;
- Environmental investigations;
- Human health risk assessments;
- Technical specifications for remediation works;
- Technical and financial supervision of the works;
- Remediation completion reports;
Assistance in the communication between the project owner and the administration and the developer.
Antea Group defined an investigation strategy approved by the administration:
- Soil borings till a depth of 8 m bgl and following a 10 m-wide grid;
- Soil sampling on 2 m-thick layers;
- Laboratory analytical program based on historical activities;
- Groundwater investigations;
- Soil gas investigations;
- Definition of remediation targets following a health risk-based approach.
Antea Group also defined the works completion control protocols.
The decontamination works involved:
- 420,000 t of excavated soils,
- 220,000 t of polluted soils treated on site,
- 160,000 t of polluted disposed off site,
- 800,000 t of soils managed.
The residual contamination left in place due to technical constraints amounted to 900 tons, which is less than 0.2 % of the identified contamination.
The closure certificates have been obtained from the administration for the 5 remediation orders.